Crate Pro is a program written using FileMaker database software. Millions of people, from individuals to some of the world’s largest organizations, use the FileMaker Platform to streamline their business processes, manage essential information, and boost overall productivity. Crate Pro 6 running on the FileMaker platform gives custom crating companies the flexibility to inexpensively design, cost and quote their crate jobs in seconds.
Understanding FileMaker Pro and your Crate Pro Database
The Crate Pro database runs inside the FileMaker Pro program. This is similar to using a spreadsheet file in Excel©. You can add formulas to an Excel spreadsheet then enter data and the formulas will calculate results. In this regard, your Crate Pro database is similar to a very complex spreadsheet.
FileMaker is a very powerful desktop database. If you're comfortable with computers, you may find it easy to create your own databases and automate your business. To use Crate Pro, you do not need to know anything about FileMaker Pro, however if you want to take advantage of the power of FileMaker Pro to write your own databases, the Quick Start screen will provide a good starting point. Your CAL license is bundled with a 'full' FileMaker Pro license and can be used outside of Crate Pro.
Crate Pro can be installed in various configurations
- Stand Alone – Crate Pro is installed and accessed from a single computer (legacy, EDU and GVT)
- Peer-to-Peer - The Crate Pro database resides on one computer which will be used as the ‘host’for your Crate Pro database files and be used to access the program as a client. All other computers, ‘clients’, access the Crate Pro database on your host via LAN, WAN, VPN or internet connection. FileMaker Pro is installed on every computer that will access your Crate Pro database up to the number of CAL purchased which includes the host computer.
Client-Server - The Crate Pro database runs on a server using FileMaker Server software and is shared with multiple computers..This configuration has a number of benefits such as: greater file security, faster processing time, ability to host multiple databases should you want to manage multiple locations from a single server, automated backups, auto restart after a reboot and remote control for administrators.
- If you have multiple locations which have different pricing, customers, policies, etc and want to host multiple Crate Pro databases from a single location, get FileMaker Server.
- FileMaker Server is required if you have more than 5 computer clients or concurrent connections.
- Client-Server allows for Remote Desktop Services and Citrix configurations
- Best for any company with a server including global enterprise
- For virtual environments, a CAL license is required for each unique end-user computer but the client software will be install on the virtual server.
- Individual User accounts are not licensed. You may add as many user accounts as desired. Users will connect from any licensed computer.
Using Remote Desktop Services and Citrix XenApp? (information for virtual environments)
Best Practices Before Installing Crate Pro and FileMaker Software : We suggest taking one minute to review this solution before installation
<<<>>>>Portal login required - these documents are available only to activated portal accounts
NEW installation documents -New Installation documentation link are only for the most current release of Crate Pro 6 and FileMaker software.
Client-Server Installation Document: This configuration uses FileMaker Server. Use this document if you purchased the Client-Server configuration or are installing in a virtual environment.
Peer-to-Peer and Stand-Alone: Use this document of you did NOT purchase FileMaker Server. This document is for peer-to-peer and Stand-Alone installations. FileMaker Pro will be installed on all client computers that will host or access Crate Pro up to the number of CAL purchased. The client computer that will host your Crate Pro files consumes one CAL license.If you are on using Crate Pro on more than three computers without deploying FileMaker Server, we recommend you install your Crate Pro files on computer that can function as a dedicated host and do not use it as a desktop or client computer. This helps ensures other processes don't interfere or slow Crate Pro. This will consume one CAL / FileMaker Pro license.
UPDATE documentation -
If you will be upgrading your FileMaker software, confirm that your Crate Pro version is compatible before upgrade.
Crate Pro Upgrade with Data Migration: If you're not migrating data, select the NEW installation documents
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.4 database files to current
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.3 database files to current
- Upgrading FileMaker Pro / CAL (client access software) - FileMaker Pro 12 to FileMaker Pro 16
- Upgrading to FileMaker Server 16
- Upgrading to FileMaker Server 15
Older versions of Crate Pro and FileMaker are end of life and not supported