Crate Pro is a program written using FileMaker database software. Millions of people, from individuals to some of the world’s largest organizations, use the FileMaker Platform to streamline their business processes, manage essential information, and boost overall productivity. Crate Pro 6 running on the FileMaker platform gives custom crating companies the flexibility to inexpensively design, cost and quote their crate jobs in seconds.
Understanding FileMaker Pro and your Crate Pro Database
The Crate Pro database runs inside the FileMaker Pro program. This is similar to using a spreadsheet file in Excel©. You can add formulas to an Excel spreadsheet then enter data and the formulas will calculate results. In this regard, your Crate Pro database is similar to a very complex spreadsheet.
FileMaker is a very powerful desktop database. If you're comfortable with computers, you may find it easy to create your own databases and automate your business. To use Crate Pro, you do not need to know anything about FileMaker Pro, however if you want to take advantage of the power of FileMaker Pro to write your own databases, the Quick Start screen will provide a good starting point. Your CAL license is bundled with a 'full' FileMaker Pro license and can be used outside of Crate Pro.
Crate Pro can be installed in various configurations
- Stand Alone – Crate Pro is installed and accessed from a single computer (legacy, EDU and GVT). A single license has been purchased.
- Peer-to-Peer - The Crate Pro database resides on one computer which will be used as the ‘host’for your Crate Pro database files and be used to access the program as a client. All other computers, ‘clients’, access the Crate Pro database on your host via LAN, WAN, VPN or internet connection. FileMaker Pro is installed on every computer that will access your Crate Pro database up to the number of CAL purchased which includes the host computer. CRATE PRO IS NOT INSTALLED ON A COMPUTER RUNNING SERVER SOFTWARE
Client-Server - The Crate Pro database runs on a server using FileMaker Server software and is shared with multiple computers..This configuration has a number of benefits such as: greater file security, faster processing time, ability to host multiple databases should you want to manage multiple locations from a single server, automated backups, auto restart after a reboot and remote control for administrators.
- If you have multiple locations which have different pricing, customers, policies, etc and want to host multiple Crate Pro databases from a single location, get FileMaker Server.
- FileMaker Server is required if you have more than 5 computer clients or concurrent connections.
- Client-Server allows for Remote Desktop Services and Citrix configurations
- Best for any company with a server including global enterprise
- For virtual environments, a CAL license is required for each unique end-user computer that will connect to your Crate Pro 6 database files, but the installation of FileMaker Pro client software is on the virtual server.
- Individual User accounts are not licensed. You may add as many user accounts as desired. Users will connect from any CAL licensed computer.
DAL The DAL license is incorporated into the Crate Pro activation file and does not have any special system requirement.
Additional information for installation:
Using Remote Desktop Services and Citrix XenApp? (information for virtual environments)
Best Practices Before Installing Crate Pro and FileMaker Software : We suggest taking one minute to review this solution before installation
<<<>>>>Portal login required for the following documents. Select the installation documentation based on your purchase/lease.
NEW installation documents -Installation documentation link are for the most current release of Crate Pro 6 and FileMaker software for first time installations.
Client-Server Installation Document: This configuration uses FileMaker Server. Use this document if you purchased the Client-Server configuration or are installing in a virtual environment.
Peer-to-Peer and Stand-Alone: Use this document of you did NOT purchase FileMaker Server. This document is for peer-to-peer and Stand-Alone installations. FileMaker Pro will be installed on all client computers that will host or access Crate Pro up to the number of CAL purchased. The client computer that will host your Crate Pro files consumes one CAL license.
UPDATE documentation - You are running a current version of Crate Pro 6 with data to migrate. Separate instructions for FileMaker upgrades and for Crate Pro updates.
Crate Pro Upgrade with Data Migration: If you're not migrating data, select the NEW installation documents
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.4138 or later to Crate Pro 6 17xxx (Nov 2017 and later) *Your version can be no older than 6.4138 to update
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.4001 or later to Crate Pro 6.4138 (May 2017)
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.3045 or later to Crate Pro 6.4138 (January 2017)
If you will be upgrading your FileMaker software to a new version, confirm that your current Crate Pro build is compatible before upgrade. You may need to update your Crate Pro build prior to upgrading FileMaker
FileMaker Upgrade Documentation:
- Upgrading FileMaker Pro / CAL (client access software) - FileMaker Pro 12 to FileMaker Pro 16
- Upgrading to FileMaker Server 16
- Upgrading to FileMaker Server 15
Older versions of Crate Pro and FileMaker are end of life and not supported