Crate Pro is a program written using FileMaker database software. Millions of people, from individuals to some of the world’s largest organizations, use the FileMaker Platform to streamline their business processes, manage essential information, and boost overall productivity. Crate Pro 6 running on the FileMaker platform gives custom crating companies the flexibility to inexpensively design, cost and quote their crate jobs in seconds.
Understanding FileMaker Pro and your Crate Pro Database
The Crate Pro database runs inside the FileMaker Pro program. This is similar to using a spreadsheet file in Excel©. You can add formulas to an Excel spreadsheet then enter data and the formulas will calculate results. In this regard, your Crate Pro database is similar to a very complex spreadsheet.
FileMaker is a very powerful desktop database. If you're comfortable with computers, you may find it easy to create your own databases and automate your business. To use Crate Pro, you do not need to know anything about FileMaker Pro, however if you want to take advantage of the power of FileMaker Pro to write your own databases, the Quick Start screen will provide a good starting point. Your CAL license is bundled with a 'full' FileMaker Pro license and can be used outside of Crate Pro.
Crate Pro can be installed in various configurations
- Stand Alone – Crate Pro is installed and accessed from a single computer (legacy, EDU and GVT). A single license has been purchased.
- Peer-to-Peer - The Crate Pro database resides on one user computer which will is the ‘host’ for your Crate Pro database files and will also be used to access the program as a client. Additional computers are called ‘clients and connect to Crate Pro on your Host via LAN, WAN, VPN or internet connection. FileMaker Pro is installed on every computer that will access your Crate Pro database, including the Host up to the number of CAL purchased. CRATE PRO IS NOT INSTALLED ON A COMPUTER RUNNING SERVER SOFTWARE
Client-Server - The Crate Pro database runs on a server using FileMaker Server software and is shared with multiple computers.This configuration has a number of benefits such as: greater file security, faster processing time, ability to host multiple databases should you want to manage multiple locations from a single server, automated backups, auto restart after a reboot and remote control for administrators.
- If you have multiple locations which have different pricing, customers, policies, etc and want to host multiple Crate Pro databases from a single location, get FileMaker Server.
- FileMaker Server is required if you have more than 5 computer clients or concurrent connections.
- Client-Server allows for Remote Desktop Services and Citrix configurations
- Best for any company with a server including global enterprise
Best Practices Before Installing Crate Pro and FileMaker Software : We suggest taking one minute to review this solution before installation
- For virtual environments, a CAL license is required for each unique end-user computer that will connect to your Crate Pro 6 database files, but the installation of the FileMaker Pro client software is on the virtual server. You may not have more installations of FileMaker Pro on virtual servers than you have CAL licenses for.
- Individual User accounts to access Crate Pro are not licensed. You may add as many user accounts as desired. Users will connect from any CAL licensed computer.
System Requirement Updated Info:
- MAC and OS High Sierra
- FileMaker Server and JAVA
Using Remote Desktop Services and Citrix XenApp? (information for virtual environments)
Support Portal login required for the following documents. If you don't have a Crate Pro support portal account send an email with your full name, email address and the Crate Pro purchasing company to Support@CratePro.com
NEW installation documents -Installation documentation link are for the most current release of Crate Pro 6 and FileMaker software for first time installations.
Client-Server Installation Document: This configuration uses FileMaker Server. Use this document if you purchased FileMaker Server (FileMaker Server required for virtual environments)
Peer-to-Peer and Stand-Alone: Use this document of you did NOT purchase FileMaker Server.
For legacy installation documentation log in to the Support Portal and access the Installation Folder
UPDATE documentation: Currently running Crate Pro and updating with data migration
Companies with active maintenance and companies on Crate Pro 171107 are eligible to update to 171215
Free live session support is available to update from an active version to current. Click here to Schedule
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.4138 or later to Crate Pro 6 171215 Windows (Nov 2017 and later) *Your version can be no older than 6.4136 to one step update
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.4138 or later to Crate Pro 6 171215 MAC (Nov 2017 and later) *Your version can be no older than 6.4136 to one step update
FileMaker Upgrade Documentation:
- Upgrading FileMaker Pro 13 through 16 / CAL (client access software) - FileMaker Pro 12 to FileMaker Pro 16
- Upgrading to FileMaker Server 16
- Upgrading to FileMaker Server 15
Live session support may incur a fee. Ticket support is free.
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.4001 or later to Crate Pro 6.4138 (May 2017) click here for live support session
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.3045 or later to Crate Pro 6.4138 (January 2017) click here for live support session
FileMaker Software: If you are not on the most current FileMaker version confirm that your updated Crate Pro build is compatible before upgrade. You may need to update your FileMaker prior to updating.
Older versions of Crate Pro and FileMaker are end of life and not supported