Most default settings and values in Crate Pro are based on commonly used industry values. You will modify the default settings and enter your companies information. The more accurate your settings, the faster and more accurate the design process is and the easier you'll find Crate Pro to learn and use.
You should complete the topics in Sessions 1 - 3 prior to creating designs. Configuration sessions build on each other. Some companies schedule more than one session for a topic. Much will depend on the knowledge of your business, costs and policies of the person(s) attending.
After completing the basic configuration, you'll be able to set the session based on what your goals for custom design software are. Please review the session topics below.
Sharing Your Screen:
You will share your screen. The session software used is Join.Me meeting software. To share quickly, download the desktop application which allows you to very quickly enter a session and share your screen without having to create an account. Click Here to download
Schedule multiple sessions as time slots can fill up fast. The more you can complete in a shorter period of time the faster you'll be up an running. If no one from your company logs in within 10 minutes of the start time, the session automatically closes and you'e marked as a No-Show. There is no refund on paid sessions for a no-shows.
> Preferences module > Pricing: Have your hourly labor cost and your billing rate. If you bill differently for labor costs, have what your billing method is and have those values.
> Preferences module > Pricing: Have your markup % for your materials used to build your crates
> Have contact information for one customer
Session 2: Inventory module. Crate Pro includes over 350 inventory items commonly used to build crates, pallets and skids. We will go over how to 'clean' this list so only items used appear as an option. Items that you use not already in the Inventory will be added. We will review changing the Item ID to reflect the name you prefer for an item if the existing item name is not preferred. You will set the Tracking/ Purchasing units of measure for each category of materials.
> Know the waste factor you use to get your totals (Crate Pro includes a default waste factor value for each material based on beta testing)
- Know what items you would sell directly from inventory that are NOT part of a crate/skid/pallet design
- Often another session, either 30 or 60 minutes, to ensure Inventory is properly set is not unusual since all information regarding your materials is usually not available at the time of this session. If you have a purchasing agent, they could benefit the speed of getting this module configured and maintained
> Based on the crate style templates you selected, know what plywood and lumber combinations you would use. This release allows for up to five unique groupings of wood materials for each style family.
Session 4: Projects and Home module and setting Backups. Projects generate all reports in the Reports module and include a highly requested feature: Ability to print a cut list combining same size materials from multiple designs. Projects allow users to follow the progress of the designs on the order. Projects combine totals for costs, selling prices, weights, times and allow you to add overtime and onsite charges. Projects generate quotes, invoices and work orders.
The Home screens are based on a User role within the company and allows them to focus on their work and easily provide information through Crate Pro to foreman and managers. Home screens allow managers to generate new Projects, designs add customers and more directly from their Home screen(s). Foreman and Sawyers can indicate what PO (or other indicator used) that ISPM materials are being tracked on. Review of the Home screens will cover Users but based on time, its suggested reviewing these topics in more detail in another session.
Client-Server administrators can set automated backups through the FileMaker Server Admin Console. For Peer-to-Peer, Crate Pro offers a manual reminder process to create backups. Because peer-to-peer installations are hosting using User software, the person(s) designated to create backups should understand their options and ensure timely backups are created.
USER SESSIONS (assumes configuration sessions above have been completed)
Here are common topics for user training and additional configuration. Session subjects may overlap based on time and your comfort level. Our goal is to help you maximize your use of the program.
- Basic User training: This assumes multiple sessions. Configuration of Crate Pro with your companies baseline settings should be done prior to user training. This help ensure that users are seeing results based on your information.
- How to create designs and print cut lists (multiple sessions tor proficiency)
- Templates and Duplicate designs: How do they work and what works better for your company. This is a key session and recommended for everyone. Understanding that a new design does not need to recreated if already done will save you hours every week. This will help clarify when its better to duplicate a design, create a template or start with a new design works best for the situation.
- Adjusting design results in the design if needed (unless an administrator is in the session we will not make changes in any of the configuration modules.)
- Using Home screens assigned to see an overview of your work. (ISPM training for Foreman and Sawyer roles is a separate session)
- Adding designs to Projects, printing cut lists and other reports.
- Printing and/or emailing customer quotes, invoices and work orders
- How to use Projects: Practice using the stages and status' in Projects is used to manage your order. We can discuss what your current process is and help you decide in what manner using the stage/status feature
- Additional Sessions for configuration - Admin / Manager Training:
- Users and user permissions Will review any questions you may still have from the configuration sessions. Creating, deleting user accounts. Setting permission levels and Roles. Changing passwords . You do not have a limit on user accounts. Users must connect from a computer/device that has a CAL license. There are no fees for user accounts and every person that will use Crate Pro should have a user account in Crate Pro AND an online portal account (also free)
- Customers: Creating customer accounts. Understanding customer special settings. Adding Ship To, Pickup From and Final Destination addresses.
- Special customer pricing: How to handle when a customer has a special pricing. Or a customer has different markups or discounts,
- Costs - Labor: Your labor costs are not as close as you expect. Schedule this to determine what settings affect this result
- Labor time settings : Labor times for different processes vary widely among custom crating companies. Crate Pro offers many fields to set your baselines to most accurately help you estimate labor costs. Due to the number of settings Crate Pro offers that allow you to configure your specific times, you may need to set more than a single session. Please have existing information for comparison so we can identify what changes need to be made
- Costs - Materials: Your material costs are not as close as you expect. Schedule this to determine what settings affect this result
- Selling Price: Your selling prices are not what you expect. This session will help determine if the issue is due to materials, labor or both. Before scheduling this session you will need to ensure the calculated costs for both materials and labor are accurate. If not please schedule one of the Costs - Labor or Materials first.
- Forms: quotes, emails, etc.. Set up the forms to allow for immediate communication with customers. Forms are available in both the Designs and Projects module and can be configured based on a company policy as well as an individual customer.
- Importing Customer Lists: In advance of this session please request the format that your CSV file must be in for customer importing. You will need a CSV or Excel file to import your customer information.
- Backups: Customers with FileMaker Server must have admin console login credentials. Stand-alone and peer-to-peer must have Admin permission into Crate Pro AND the permission to save the backup files to a separate location on your network or on an external drive
- Project flow: Looking at your process and staff and working toward a flow that allows for speed and accuracy. This session should be done once you have a comfort level that the calculated costs/pricing and designs meet you expectations
- Project Stages and Status: Review of Design and Project Status fields for better staff communication. The Projects module provides all the information for the Reports module. This includes ISPM reports, Material Usage reports, status reports for Projects. Using Projects gives you better control over the entire crating process and helps your staff stay on task. Setting up Projects to manage your individual designs will reduce the time needed to manage your crating processes. (Does not cover ISPM training
- ISPM and Material tracking. Setting it up and using this feature. Its important to know in advance how your company tracks/identifies the material for your reporting. By PO, by lot number, by invoice, by a flag color? What staff is involved with ensuring the materials are identified correctly? Having this information for this session will make the setup faster and more accurate
We offer free live session installation and update support for all customers with active maintenance. To be eligible for free updating, your version can not be more than 2 releases behind. Must be able to update directly into the newest version and not require multiple step-ups to be brought current. Current and legacy installation/update documentation is available on the support portal. Support portal accounts are FREE.
Use this LINK to bookmark the live session scheduler. You must have a support portal account or the session will be canceled.
More to read if interested!
Why does this version have multiple steps for installation and update when older versions had a simple run the executable?
Crate Pro is a bundled solution with FileMaker database software and your order includes both Crate Pro and FileMaker software. Prior to the development of Crate Pro 6, current customers were surveyed to determine if they preferred a single step installation process or an 'open' FileMaker license which would allow them to create their own databases. independent of Crate Pro. Overwhelmingly the response was that companies wanted the option to be able to use the FileMaker to develop their own databases which could then be hosted alongside Crate Pro.