This is a general document that contains links to the update and installation solution articles.
Section A explains the license configurations.
Section B provides links to the technical requirements for current and older versions of FileMaker Server and FileMaker Pro
Section C contains links and explanation for the documentation for current and deprecated Crate Pro releases and FileMaker versions Release Schedule
Support - End of article provides more information on scheduling support.
Understanding FileMaker Pro and your Crate Pro Database:
The Crate Pro database files run inside the FileMaker Pro program. This is similar to using a spreadsheet file in Excel© or Numbers. You can add formulas to a spreadsheet, then enter data and the formulas will calculate results. In this regard, your Crate Pro database is similar to a very complex spreadsheet.
You will install FileMaker Pro on your computer(s) up to the number of CAL licenses purchased. The Crate Pro database files are installed on only one computer that has an installation of FileMaker Pro (stand-alone and peer-to-peer) or on a computer with FileMaker Server (client-server)
Section A: License configurations
Most often Peer-to-peer and Stand-Alone documents are combined
- Stand Alone – Crate Pro is installed and accessed from a single computer. You have a single CAL and DAL license purchased. All users must log into Crate Pro 6 at that computer and do not connect over a LAN, WAN or VPN (remote desktop not recommended)
- Peer-to-Peer - The Crate Pro databases reside on one computer with FileMaker Pro is installed. This computer is called the ‘Host' and can be used as a client / user computer as well as it will be a Host for the Crate Pro files. All other computers, up to the total number of CAL licenses purchased, are "clients". Only FileMaker Pro is installed on the additional clients. Clients connect to the Host via your LAN, a WAN, or VPN.
- Client-Server - The Crate Pro databases reside on a computer with FileMaker Server software. This configuration has a number of benefits such as greater file security, faster processing time, the ability to host multiple databases should you have multiple locations with unique customers, pricing, materials, etc.. FM Server also allows for automated backups, auto restart after a reboot, and remote control for administrators.
- FileMaker Server is required for RDS , RDP and Citrix installations
- FileMaker Server is required for 6+ clients and is optional for 5 clients. FileMaker Server is not available for less than 5 clients.
Section B: Technical Requirements: FileMaker software is installed on all unique computers that access or host Crate Pro.
As of September 2021 we are on FileMaker 19 Pro and FileMaker Server 18 or 19 (client-server)
As of September 2022 all client-server customers should have updated to FileMaker Server 19 with clients on FileMaker Pro 19
FileMaker 19 Technical Specifications: Review specs for FileMaker PRO for all client installations and FileMaker SERVER for client-server installations
Claris-FileMaker continually updates to maintain compatibility with new operating systems. Often and in-version update will be released for compatibility. When checking O/S compatibility, you can contact us if not sure of your O/S version.
Older versions of FileMaker Server and Pro system requirements can be accessed here: Click Here
Section C: What documents do you need?
- Client-Server customers that purchased FileMaker Server all new installation documents begin with the "FileMaker Server version + the FileMaker Pro version". ex: 'FM Server 19 with FM Pro 19' or 'FM Server 18 with FM Pro 19'
- Peer-to-Peer/Stand-Alone: Named with the "FileMaker PRO version + Peer-to-Peer & Stand-Alone"
Update: If you currently have Crate Pro 6 installed. All update documents will begin with the word 'Update'
- The update documents are sub-divided for client-server documentation versus peer-to-peer/stand-alone documentation.
Upgrade: Generally only applies to FileMaker Server updates. The document will begin with the word 'Upgrade' and will specify which server version to which server version
Active Release Documents Click Here
Deprecated Release Documents Click Here
You can get the join.me desktop app for either a PC or Mac.
The Calendar allows you to schedule your online support: You can bookmark the solution article or locate it on the support portal > FAQ's > Support Options
!! Data migration to a new release is limited to two previous releases. Please update when available to avoid fees for migration assistance or the lose of the ability to migrate. We send notices of new releases and versions via our newsletters so ensure you have at least one person with an active support portal account.