Peer-to-peer and stand-alone configurations use FiIeMaker Pro or FileMaker Advanced to host your Crate Pro program. FiIeMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced are user programs, so many of the benefits that are included in FileMaker Server, such as automated backups, are not available. As of Crate Pro build 4136, Crate Pro includes some steps to provide a 'reminder' to backup your main data file, which can be modified by User and/or Time the program is closed on the Host computer.
If you have FileMaker Server backup solution click here
NO 3rd party or non FileMaker software should be used to create a backup of your working or production files. Backup programs are not designed to safely backup databases that contain open code calculations. Backup and scanning software typically applies 'markers' to identify changes in a file. These markers will damage your database over time.
Backup your working Crate Pro files using the steps explained below and then you may use your backup software on the closed backup files.
Setting Up Your Backup Permissions :
- Create a folder in the location you want to save your backup files. Clearly label that folder BACKUP Crate Pro to ensure you do not mix up files in your Working files with your Backup files. If you keep your Backup folder on the same computer as your Working files, be sure that when you open Crate Pro that you open the Working files and not the files within the Backup folder.
- You can set your 3rd party backup software to backup the Backup files files to another location or save a copy on an external drive in case of total failure
- IF YOUR BACKUP FOLDER IS ON THE SAME COMPUTER - ENSURE YOU SAVE A COPY TO ANOTHER COMPUTER OR DRIVE. Using a cloud drive such as Dropbox is acceptable for the Backup folder.
- In Crate Pro Preferences > Backups > About keeping your databases safe - make note of the location of your working database files
- Select the configuration you have:
- Stand-Alone - this is an installation on a single computer. Select the time that when Crate Pro 6 is closed that the user will l be given the option to create a backup before the program fully closes
- Peer-to-Peer - Allows you to select which user(s) are given the opportunity to create a backup when the database is closed on the host computer, and at what time.
- There are four User Roles that can be given permission to create a backup: Administrator, Manager, Bookkeeper, Designer. The last person who closes Crate Pro on the host must have one of these Roles selected in their account in the User module. Example: If your Foreman is typically the last person to close Crate Pro, he will not get the option to create a backup. You will need to give him an additional Role in the User module.
- Setting the time: In your shop, Crate Pro may not be used all day so users may close the program multiple times during the day. So that the pop up window to create a backup doesn't constantly come up, you can set a typical time that the backup option appears, Keep in mind, that if you typically end your day at 3PM, you probably don't want to set the option to ask the last user to 4PM.
- Like most programs, the initial location that the file/save is usually the last place that you opened the program from and not your preferred backup folder. You may need to change the save to location each time.
Creating a backup:
Based on the settings in Preferences > Backup for your configuration:
- When the last designated user(s) logs out on the host computer , they'll receive a pop-up window to save their data file.
- The 'Save In' location should be your Backup folder. Be sure to change it to your preferred location
- The word 'copy' will be added to the file name. We recommend adding the date as well but this is not required and some systems will automatically add the date. Saving sequential copies of your backups is strongly recommended. If your files get damaged you can restore to the last good file.
To Be Aware Of:
Currently to save space, Crate Pro's backup will only backup your data file and not the secondary files.
- The Resources or Supplement file is a non changing file and contains the style template information that Crate Pro uses. You do not need to create multiple copies. You should have one saved copy of this file from your original download and/or your last update.
- Data Shared. This file contains images and attachments you may have saved in the Design module and Projects module. Because this file can get very large if you save files, it doesn't get included in the regular backup. You should occasionally make a backup of this file and save it in your Backup folder. If you don't save attachments or image files in Crate Pro, you do not need to create a backup of this file.