Crate Pro is a program written using Claris FileMaker database software. Millions of people, from individuals to some of the world’s largest organizations, use the Claris FileMaker Platform to streamline their business processes, manage essential information, and boost overall productivity. Crate Pro 6 running on the Claris FileMaker platform gives custom crating companies the flexibility to inexpensively design, cost and quote their crate jobs in seconds.
Understanding FileMaker Pro and your Crate Pro Database:
The Crate Pro database files run inside the FileMaker Pro program. This is similar to using a spreadsheet file in Excel© or Numbers. You can add formulas to a spreadsheet, then enter data and the formulas will calculate results. In this regard, your Crate Pro database is similar to a very complex spreadsheet.
You will install FileMaker Pro on your computer(s) up to the number of CAL licenses purchased. The Crate Pro production database files will be installed on only one computer which can be a server or a client depending on the purchased license configuration. The Crate Pro database files must be installed on a computer that has either FileMaker Pro installed or FileMaker Server, which will act as a Host.
Customers with a maintenance plan may schedule a free online screen sharing session. You will use your session code when booking if you have a maintenance plan. This is located in your support portal profile. Here is the link to schedule a session: Customer Phone and Session Calendar
Section A: Determine your license configuration
- Stand Alone – Crate Pro is installed and accessed from a single computer. You have a single CAL and DAL license purchased.
- Peer-to-Peer - The Crate Pro databases resides on one computer and FileMaker Pro is installed. This computer is called the ‘Host' and can be used as a client / user computer as well as a Host for the Crate Pro files. Other computers, up to the total number of CAL licenses purchased, are "clients". Only FileMaker Pro is installed on the additional clients. Clients connect to the Host via your LAN, a WAN, or VPN.
- Client-Server - The Crate Pro databases reside on a computer with FileMaker Server software. This configuration has a number of benefits such as greater file security, faster processing time, the ability to host multiple databases should you have multiple locations with unique customers, pricing, materials, etc.. FM Server also allows for automated backups, auto restart after a reboot, and remote control for administrators.
- FileMaker Server is required for RDS , RDP and Citrix installations
- FileMaker Server is required for 6+ clients and is optional for 5 clients. FileMaker Server is not available for less than 5 clients.
Section B: Technical Requirements: FileMaker software is installed on all computers that will access or host Crate Pro.
As of September 2021 we are using FileMaker 19 Pro and FileMaker Server 18 or 19
FileMaker 19 Technical Specifications: Review specs for FileMaker PRO for all client installations and FileMaker SERVER for client-server installations
Select the installation documentation based on the version of FileMaker you will install and your license configuration purchased. Do not select the Update documents for a new installation. If unsure, contact Support@CratePro.com
!! Data migration to a new release is limited to two previous releases. Please update when available to avoid fees for migration assistance or the lose of the ability to migrate. We send notices of new releases and versions via our newsletters so ensure you have at least one person with an active support portal account.