Crate Pro is a program written using FileMaker database software. Millions of people, from individuals to some of the world’s largest organizations, use the FileMaker Platform to streamline their business processes, manage essential information, and boost overall productivity. Crate Pro 6 running on the FileMaker platform gives custom crating companies the flexibility to inexpensively design, cost and quote their crate jobs in seconds.
Understanding FileMaker Pro and your Crate Pro Database:
The Crate Pro database runs inside the FileMaker Pro program. This is similar to using a spreadsheet file in Excel©. You can add formulas to an Excel spreadsheet then enter data and the formulas will calculate results. In this regard, your Crate Pro database is similar to a very complex spreadsheet.
You will install FileMaker Pro on client/host computer(s) up to the number of CAL licenses purchase. Only one computer will install the Crate Pro database files, which is the Host (peer-to-peer, stand-alone) or Server (if FileMaker Server is purchased).
FileMaker is a very powerful desktop database. If you're comfortable with computers, you may find it easy to create your own databases and automate your business. To use Crate Pro, you do not need to know anything about FileMaker Pro, however if you want to take advantage of the power of FileMaker Pro to write your own databases, the Quick Start screen will provide a good starting point. Your CAL license is bundled with a 'full' FileMaker Pro license and can be used outside of Crate Pro. (effective July 2018 FileMaker Pro will be replaced by FileMaker Pro Advanced)
To assist you in selecting the correct installation or update document please review the following:
Section A: What license configuration did you purchase? Based on your purchase you'll be able to select the correct documentation.
- Stand Alone – Crate Pro is installed and accessed from a single computer (legacy, EDU and GVT). You have a single CAL and DAL license purchased.
- Peer-to-Peer - The Crate Pro database resides on one end-user computer which will be the ‘host’ for your Crate Pro database files and it can be used by a user to access the program. FileMaker Server software was not purchased. In this configuration you have four or fewer CAL licenses purchased. Crate Pro is NOT installed on a computer running server software, RDS or Citrix environment. Additional computers are called ‘clients' and connect to Crate Pro on your Host via LAN, WAN, VPN or internet connection.
- Client-Server - The Crate Pro database runs on a server using FileMaker Server software and is shared with multiple computers.This configuration has a number of benefits such as: greater file security, faster processing time, ability to host multiple databases should you want to manage multiple locations from a single server, automated backups, auto restart after a reboot and remote control for administrators. FileMaker Server is required for RDS and Citrix installations as well as if you have 5+ clients
Section B: Confirm your systems meet the technical requirements : FileMaker software is installed on all computers that will access or host Crate Pro. Expect within a few months of a new FileMaker release we'll be on most current version. Extensive testing is done for compatibility issues.
FileMaker Pro System Requirements This is your client and host software. A FileMaker Pro license is included with each CAL license purchased. A CAL license is required for each unique end-user computer that will connect to a Crate Pro database. FileMaker Pro is not installed on the server when FileMaker Server is purchased)
Section C: New Installation Documentation:
Client-Server Installation Document: Crate Pro build 17xxxx to current (released November 2017) Use this document if you purchased FileMaker Server
Peer-to-Peer and Stand-Alone: Crate Pro build 17xxxx to current (released November 2017) Use this document if you did NOT purchase FileMaker Server.
Looking for installation information for older versions?
Section D: Updating with Data Migration Documentation:
Crate Pro and FileMaker updates are usually not released at the same time. As a user benefit your FileMaker is not "locked" to Crate Pro. Because of this you will update the software individually. An activated support portal account required to access these documents.
Updating your Crate Pro files:
- Windows Updating from Crate Pro 6.4136, 4138 or 1711xx to Crate Pro 1712xx Windows
- MAC Updating from Crate Pro 6.4136, 4138 or 1711xx to Crate Pro 1712xx MAC
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.4001 or later to Crate Pro 6.4138 Windows and MAC (May 2017)
- Updating from Crate Pro 6.3045 or later to Crate Pro 6.4138 Windows and MAC (January 2017)
Older versions may no longer update due to the files required for a multi-step update are no longer available,
Information for Crate Pro 5 is available on the support portal in the Crate Pro 5 section. Live session support is not available